Thursday, December 7, 2017

My Giant List Of Quotes, Part 2 (W.C. Fields to Edgar Allan Poe)

“I was in love with a beautiful blonde once, dear. She drove me to drink. That's the one thing I'm so indebted to her for.” --W.C. Fields


“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” --John Kenneth Galbraith


“In reality there are as many religions as there are individuals.” --Mohandas K. Gandhi


“Seven social sins: politics without principles, wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice.” --Mohandas K. Gandhi


“I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” --Mohandas K. Gandhi (disputed)


“Men rarely (if ever) manage to dream up a god superior to themselves. Most gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child.” --Robert Heinlein


“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.” --Robert Heinlein


“Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.” --Robert Heinlein


“Waking a person unnecessarily should not be considered a capital crime. For a first offense, that is.” --Robert Heinlein


“Sin lies only in hurting others unnecessarily. All other ‘sins’ are invented nonsense.” --Robert Heinlein


“If I am not for myself, then who will be for me? But when I am for myself, then what am ‘I’? And if not now, when?” --Hillel the Elder


“That which is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor. That is the whole Torah; the rest is the commentary. Go and study it.” --Hillel the Elder


“Basically, the Germans came to us and said, ‘We don't have a sense of humour.’" --Eric Idle


“Many people did not care for Pat Buchanan's speech; it probably sounded better in the original German.” --Molly Ivins


“Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” --Samuel Johnson


“LEXICOGRAPHER — A writer of dictionaries, a harmless drudge.“ --Samuel Johnson, Dictionary


“OATS — A grain which in England is generally given to horses, but in Scotland supports the people.” --Samuel Johnson, Dictionary


“You can't get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.” --C.S. Lewis

“If you can't say something good about someone, sit right here by me.” --Alice Roosevelt Longworth


“[T]he world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind.” --H.P. Lovecraft


“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” --H.P. Lovecraft


“The first opinion which one forms of a prince, and of his understanding, is by observing the men he has around him; and when they are capable and faithful he may always be considered wise, because he has known how to recognize the capable and to keep them faithful. But when they are otherwise one cannot form a good opinion of him, for the prime error which he made was in choosing them.” --Niccolo Machiavelli


“I like friends who have independent minds because they tend to make you see problems from all angles.” --Nelson Mandela


“I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.” --Groucho Marx


“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” --H.L. Mencken


“The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.” --James Nicoll


“Religion is not familiar ground for me, and as I have grown older, I have definitely drifted away from it. I have something else in its place, something older than just intellect and reason, which gives me strength and hope.” --Jawaharlal Nehru


“History is almost always written by the victors and conquerors and gives their view.” --Jawaharlal Nehru


“Freedom and power bring responsibility.” --Jawaharlal Nehru


“Strange to see how a good dinner and feasting reconciles everybody.” --Samuel Pepys


“I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.” --Edgar Allan Poe


“Not my circus, not my monkeys.” --Polish proverb

No comments:

Post a Comment